DO DESIGN 2017
Do Design is a unique, street wide event held during design week in Toronto. The work of contemporary designers (furniture, objects, architectural and graphic design are all considered) is to be showcased in a diverse variety of storefronts and windows of participating business venues in the Trinity Bellwoods Business Improvement Area (Dundas St West between Bathurst and Grace streets). Seven years strong, Do Design highlights contemporary design culture in a vibrant neighbourhood and is a feature exhibit of the Toronto Design Offsite Festival. We invite your participation in an exciting program described as one of design week's "not to miss" events.
Thursday 19th January to Sunday 22nd January, 2017
- Do Design(er) Talks, 2pm to 3pm - Saturday 21st January
- Do Design Public Reception, 3pm to 8pm - Saturday 21st January
- Do Design Guided Walking Tour of Venues, 2pm to 3pm - Sunday 22nd January
Save the Date...
- Do Design(er) Drinks + Meet-up - Wednesday 14th December
- The event is free to the public, timed to capture the interest of design-curious visitors and the heightened media attention generated during design week in January.
- Participating venues are varied in nature. We curate the accepted pieces into the most appropriate space for each work. The nature of the spaces means that there may not be room or access for exceptionally large work. Please keep this in mind with your submissions.
- Proposed work should be current but may have been previously shown elsewhere (Do Design will not present the same design more than once).
- As venues are not typical exhibit spaces, simplicity of installation is strongly advised. Designers are responsible for their own installation costs, and must provide their own materials and tools for install.
- All details of installation and presentation are to be co-ordinated and agreed between the designer and the assigned venue. The Do Design team will assist and advise on all necessary arrangements. You are responsible for the insurance, shipping or transport and collection of your own work.
- Participation is free. Submissions are selected by jury and limited to the number of venues available each year. (30-40 venues avg.)
- Do Design is promoted through the Toronto Design Offsite Festival and a number of other channels. We welcome your cross-promotion!
Please email submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org by 10th October, 2016.
Include the following information:
- Name of designer/design studio
- Name(s) of Individuals (if different to above)
- Contact email + telephone
- Biography (not more than 100 words)
Proposal(s) to include:
- Title of Work
- Brief Statement about the Design: (not more than 200 words)
- 2-3 images ( not be more than 1MB maximum)
- Twitter / Instagram
Maximum two proposals per submission. For accepted submissions, we will request additional high resolution images suitable for media at 300dpi.
Download: Call for Submissions 2017